Monday, November 14, 2011

Adam's first encounter with Manga

A couple weeks ago I took the kids to the library to get their own cards.  Adam needed one as a requirement for something in Cub Scouts.  I had them each chose and check out their own books.  Adam chose a book about Sea Turtles and Pokemon Adventures Vol. 7.  He told me the book cover was backwards but I didn't really pay any attention, just gave him a quick, "Yup, it reads a little differently."  A few evenings later I glanced over while he was reading it and noticed he was 10 or so pages in to the book, BUT that he was reading it wrong.  This book is a true graphic novel written in Manga form.  It reads from left to right starting from the "back" of the book.  I asked him where he started reading and then if it was making any sense.  Of course he started at the "front" and was reading in the normal left to right fashion.  And no, it wasn't making any sense.  Justin and I had a pretty good laugh before we taught him how to read the book properly.  We flipped that poor 7 year old's world all around.  From the day our children start looking at books, writing, reading, etc, we teach them that everything is ALWAYS left to right.  Um, that's until you're old enough to read a comic book in Manga form.  I'll be curious to see if he picks another volume in the series next time we exchange books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Please share yours with me!