Wednesday, April 10, 2013


It's been an interesting few days, but I made it!  Well, almost.  Technically I have to get the kids to bed tonight before I can say "I survived!" 

J is on another business trip, exactly a month after the last.  When he is gone I struggle with the day to day scheduling of our life.  You see, J is the primary parent to our older children who are 6 and 8.  He gets them up in the morning, packs lunches, feeds breakfast, takes them to school, picks them up in the afternoon, AND makes dinner. So when he is gone I have to try to get 3 kids up, dressed, fed, and out the door by 7am.

This trip J left early on Sunday morning.  I was scheduled to work 10-6 an hour from home.  The older kids were going to Grandma's house and the baby was going to work with me. The older kids' bodies had other plans though.  They both woke with diarrhea overnight.  Since I didn't think it would be nice to send them to Grandma's house sick I ended up having to stay home from work.  We had a good day and fortunately the kids felt fine other than running to the bathroom often.  They both ended up having diarrhea for 48 hours.

They watched The Hobbit and then Fellowship of the Ring 
and enjoyed warm cinnamon sugar cresents.

On Monday I actually took the kids to work with me to make my life easier.  Adam had scouts that night and we had to be there by 6:30, in uniform, fed, and with his bike and helmet.  The day went smoothly and as planned.

It was a gorgeous 65 degree day with warm winds
Photo: The kids are being tortured by using ONLY their imaginations outside.  No toys/balls/bikes here!   Photo: A tree big enough to climb.  We are taking full advantage of the nice day today before the storm hits tonight.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I arranged childcare to pick the kids up in the afternoon from ...childcare.  LOL!  They are off track right now, but they are still at the school in the Intersession program all day.  I work till 5:30 and am 45 minutes minimum from home.  Childcare closes at 6pm.  Doesn't quite compute, does it.  I am very fortunate to have awesome family and friends who jump in and help us out when needed.

On Tuesday the weather messed up our plans.  We had a Blizzard Warning and every school district in the greater Denver metro area was closed.  So the kids got to go to work with me again.  The so called "blizzard" was a total fail, but the kids enjoyed getting to spend a 3rd day with me.  I finally hit my limit on Tuesday.  I was DONE!  Noelle was starting to get pissy and annoying and I really needed a break from the older kids.  (I'm used to having the baby 24/7.  I'm not as good with the older kids.)  I decided for all of our sakes to go to McDonalds for dinner.  That way the kids could run and play getting rid of all the stored up energy, and I could relax a tiny bit.

Colorado Blizzard 4/10/13

And that brings us to today, Wednesday!  Finally a day that is going as planned.  The older kids are at Intersession and will be picked up by one of our friends, Loren, who will take them home and entertain and bathe them until I'm home.  I get to have a normal day at work with just the babies.  Also, J will be back after the kids are in bed tonight.  Woo-Hoo!

Sanity time!
Photo: Mommy needed her sanity back and the older kids needed to get rid of some energy.

I am so thankful  to have the love and support of my Husband.  I CAN do this parenting thing alone, but I don't want to and thankfully I don't have to.

(Google Hangout with Daddy!)
Photo: Hanging out with Daddy last night! She is actually kinda freaked out by it.  She just doesn't get why she can't touch him.

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

This post was inspired by the novel Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. After witnessing her children's school set ablaze, Grace attempts to find the arsonist as her teenage daughter lies in a coma in Lupton's suspense thriller. Join From Left to Write on April 11 as we discuss Afterwards. As a member, I received a copy of the book for review purposes.

This book was a great read and I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Rosamund left me wondering and guessing until the last few pages as I tried to solve the mystery of who the arsonist was, and more!


  1. So glad you have the support at makes child raising a whole lot easier, doesn't it?

  2. Whew! What a week you had. I am grateful that my husband and I can tag team the kids. You deserve a mini-break after that week!

  3. Ahhh! A day in the life. I totally feel your pain!! But you made it! :)

  4. That sounds like a very tough week, glad you survived.

  5. It's really hard when you're on your own. While my husband doesn't travel, he's a teacher and is gone in the morning before we wake up and is gone most nights and Saturdays coaching, etc. It can be a lonely life, but fortunately we're just as lucky to have the friends and family who help. And WOW do those friends and family matter. I have friends who can't count on people when they need them, and it makes such a difference. Glad your husband is home soon! And good luck with the snow now!


I love comments!! Please share yours with me!