Sunday, July 26, 2009

100% Peanut Oil

I had one of those bad mommy moments yesterday that I hope to never experience again. We went to Chick-fil-a for lunch as a special treat after Adam's end of season festivities for t-ball. (Not to count the fact that there was zero food to be found in the house!) The kids had been given a couple coupons for FREE chicken strips so that made our meal very inexpensive. So we were sitting eating and I glanced at Noelle's box her chicken strips came in and started reading it. It very clearly states that their chicken is made in 100% Peanut Oil. That's great, unless your child is allergic to peanuts, as Noelle is. I really didn't know what to do, she has only had 1 reaction previously and it was minor, just red cheeks. She ate peanut products for a good 18 months before she developed the allergy. Should I have taken away her food, which she had already eaten some of, and bought her some fresh fruit for lunch?? We decided to just watch and see what happened. Her cheeks got a tiny bit red, her lips were chapped and itchy, but that was all thank goodness. I felt so awful giving her something that could hurt her so seriously! The whole rest of the meal I was terrified I would be running her across the shopping complex to the urgent care clinic. It took hours(!) for me to stop worrying she would have a delayed reaction. I even gave her benadryl when we got home because I was afraid her throat would swell up while she was napping.

Should have gone with our original choice for lunch, Tokyo Joes. We have checked their website ingredient list very carefully and know that she is safe eating there as long as we avoid a few specific entrees (all of which neither J or I would order to start with).

First thing Monday morning I will be calling the doctor so Noelle can be seen and hopefully get a Rx for an epi pen. One of those things we will never again leave home without.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Please share yours with me!